SilverStrategy wanted to share an informative piece by HerExchange.com which is a great resource for women. HerExchange covers many interesting topics for women including business, fashion, fitness, and health. The below is an example of some of the great resources HerExchange uses to educate their readers. A big thanks to HerExchange for writing such an informative piece on American Institute for Cancer Research.
1 out of every 365 women in the U.S. will develop cancer every year.
The good news is it’s never too late to lower your risk of developing cancer – today is YOUR day!
Did you know that about 1/3 of the most common cancers that occur in the United States every year are preventable if we eat smart, move more and stay lean? Add not smoking and many thousands more are preventable.
- 38% of breast cancer cases (pre and postmenopausal) were PREVENTABLE via healthy diet, regular exercise and maintaining a healthy weight.*
- 70% of endometrium cancer cases were PREVENTABLE with the same, and*
- 45% of colon cancer cases were PREVENTABLE with the same.*
LET’S CHANGE:The American Institute for Cancer Research (AICR) has outlined the following FOUR SIMPLE STEPS to start TODAY to lower your risk of developing cancer.
1. Proportion on your plate: More Plants, Less Meat
Aim to make your plate look like this: 2/3 (or more) vegetables, fruits whole grains or beans and 1/3 (or less) animal protein.
What about meat?
2. Portion size on your plate: The Right Amount.
Are your portions too large?
Check out AICR’s Serving Size Finder to learn what a standard serving is. If the proper serving size for rice/grains is 1/2 cup…what’s on your plate?
If your diet is far from ‘perfect,’ it’s OK. Gradually reduce the foods that are harming you and introduce healthier choices. More great info about food choices when you read on HERE.
3. Move More. Every Day.
AICR’s recommendation: Be active every day, in any way, for at least thirty minutes.
Think moderate exercise. You don’t need to train for a marathon.
- Brisk walking works. All you need are comfortable shoes and a safe environment.
- Clip on a pedometer. Aim for10,000 steps a day.
- Choose activities you enjoy. Try dancing, gardening or playing tennis. If you enjoy it, you’ll keep doing it.
- Incorporate exercise into your daily activities. Make taking the stairs a habit, set your watch/phone alarm for every 30 minutes and take a stretch break to break up a sedentary job, or do errands by bicycle instead of by car.
- Have some fun with people you care about most. With friends and family, fly a kite, throw a Frisbee, or play softball.
- Choose a place that engages your mind and spirit. A pleasant environment, like a path through woods, can motivate you.
- Finally – it doesn’t matter what activities you choose, what matters most is that you choose to be active.
4. What about alcohol?
Alcohol is a cause of several cancers including colorectal and breast.
AICR’s recommendation: if you drink, for women, no more than 1 standard drink per day, for men, no more than 2. (5 oz. wine, 12 oz. beer, 1.5 oz liquor)
We want you to have a LONG & HEALTHY LIFE.
You are in control, make the right choices to lower your cancer risk – start now, one step at a time.
Visit aicr.org for more tips, tools, recipes and information to help you eat smart, move more and stay lean.